I invite you to join my Economic Freedom Summit next week, a series of discussions about the economic impacts of COVID-19 and the road to recovery in Los Angeles. The event will take place over Zoom and an RSVP is required to receive the log in information.
The Summit will take place Monday, September 21 to Friday, September 25 at 12:00pm. Each day will feature a different topic and expert panelists.
- Monday: The Business and Economic Impact of Criminal Justice and Criminal Justice Reform
- Tuesday: Housing, Land Use, and the Challenges to Affordable Housing
- Wednesday: Economic Freedom: It Takes a Village - The Critical Role of Workforce Development
- Thursday: Equal Playing Field: Removing Barriers to Business Ownership
- Friday: Economic Justice, National Economic Policy and California's Importance
Dr. Darrick Hamilton, Former Economic Advisor to Bernie Sanders
Dr. Darrick Hamilton – a noted scholar, economist, and public intellectual – is the Henry Cohen Professor of Economics and Urban Policy, a university professor, and the founding director of the Institute for the Study of Race, Stratification and Political Economy at The New School. The Institute will confront the pressing issues of our time and develop pathways and policies that break down hierarchy and promote greater equity, inclusion, and civic participation.
Hamilton has recently been profiled in The New York Times, Mother Jones, and The Wall Street Journal. He has been involved in crafting policy proposals, such as Baby Bonds and a Federal Job Guarantee, which have served as inspirations for legislative proposals at federal, state and local levels; served on the Biden-Sanders Unity Task Force; was a presidential campaign surrogate for Bernie Sanders; and regularly advises many other government officials. California Representative Ro Khanna offers high praise, characterizing Hamilton as having a “profound impact on policymakers” and calling him an “intellectual giant of his time.”
Other panelists and moderators include:
- Mark Edwards, JVS SoCal VP Government Relations
- Greg Morena, Former Councilman in the City of Santa Monica
- Josefina Santiago, JVS SoCal Director Workforce Development
- Schenae Rourk, National Association of Women Business Owners for Los Angeles (or designee)
- Bridget Netter, Unite LA, Sr. Director of Business Ed partnerships (or designee)
- And more!