Preventing Sickness and Spread
How to stay healthy:
- Stay home
- Wash hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
- If soap and water aren’t available, use alcohol-based hand sanitizer
The California Department of Public Health has consolidated state guidance on how to prepare and protect Californians from COVID-19 in a single location.
How to clean your home to prevent the virus:
- Disinfecting high-touch surfaces daily may be the most crucial, according to the New York Times. High-touch surfaces include things like phones, keyboards, door knobs, light switches, drawer handles, television remotes, refrigerator and microwave oven doors, counters, toilets and faucets.
- Wipe or spray high-touch surfaces with disinfectants that promise to kill germs. If you don’t have a disinfectant, scrubbing with soapy water will do.
What to do if you think that you are sick:
If you are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, call your healthcare provider or local public health department before seeking medical care so that appropriate precautions can be taken.
Coronavirus symptoms include:
- feeling like you have a fever
- a new cough
- shortness of breath
See additional guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.